Which oversized denim jacket is the best?
Just about every decade of the last century has made a fashion comeback. And with so many different trends coming together, it can be hard to find the one thing that ties your whole outfit together. Enter the oversized denim jacket.
This versatile outerwear has a place in everyone’s wardrobe, from grunge to workwear. Indigo blue has proven itself in the dizzying world of changing fashion trends. Whatever your style, you can’t go wrong with the oversized vintage denim jacket from Calvin Klein Jeans.
What to know before buying an oversized denim jacket
What is an oversized denim jacket
Oversized denim is iconic. Designed for a cool, loose look, this take on the classic outerwear is the perfect blend of comfort and swagger.
Unlike a regular denim jacket, oversized jackets are designed to be loose in the arms and chest, but not so big that you swim in them. Hemlines still generally fall at the waist, but you can go all the way with a long, oversized denim jacket if you’re going for the trench silhouette.
Benefits of an oversized denim jacket
Whether you want the look of your partner’s jacket or are going for the “Breakfast Club” aesthetic, you can’t beat an oversized denim jacket. Lightweight and stackable, they’re perfect for the spring and summer months. You can wear it over your shoulders, over one shoulder, or layer a sweater or sweatshirt underneath for added warmth.
Wear an oversized denim jacket
Oversized has that carefree attitude synonymous with the 1980s and 1990s. Go for a loose fit or play with contrasts and accentuate your figure.
Part of what makes denim so versatile is that it suits both preppy, streetwear and workwear styles. You can add it to a pair of chinos and a casual shirt for a look you can wear to dinner. Or layer it over your favorite graphic tee and black skinny jeans for a streetwear aesthetic. Swap the sneakers for brown boots and the tee for flannel, and your oversized jeans will become a workwear staple.
What to Look for in a Quality Oversized Denim Jacket
Washing is a production process that determines the color and wear of your denim. The wash you choose depends on your personal style:
- Indigo: It is the most commonly used rich blue for denim. It’s also the most versatile, pairing well with dark and light tones or casual and dressy.
- Light wash: This baby blue wash gives you a faded and worn look. The light wash is a great counterweight to darker denim if you’re trying to double up. It looks great with black jeans.
- Dark wash: Deep and saturated, dark wash blue denim has an edgy edge that goes well with the classic white t-shirt or black leather jacket.
- Acid wash: The result of a washing process that partially bleaches denim, the acid wash is a totally 1980s aesthetic that has fun applications in contemporary style. Wear it as a statement piece or as part of a streetwear ensemble.
- Black: Black never goes out of style, and an oversized black denim jacket is all about combining a slimming fit with the rough texture of denim. The black wash is perfect if you’re feeling a bit punk or rock ‘n’ roll.
- White: Summery, beach-chic white denim is crisp and preppy. Pair it with lightly washed jeans in indigo or white, or throw it over a dress for a relaxed structure in your outfit.
In addition to washing, denim can have all kinds of aesthetic effects. Fringe is all the rage right now, and this hanging textured piece gives off a bohemian vibe reminiscent of cowboys and the Wild West.
Patchwork is also making a comeback with its homespun look. These jackets have fun alternating squares of denim in different washes that let you play with texture and color blocking.
Finally, distressed denim is a classic, weathered style. You get the lived-in look of this legendary favorite in your closet. It adds a cool texture and has a bit of a punk-rock vibe to it.
The fit of your jacket describes its structure and fit. The three most common are trucker, chore, and cropped denim jackets:
- Trucker: The Trucker is the original denim jacket and is designed to be close fitting and hemmed at the waist. An oversized trucker will fall slightly below the waist and be loose through the torso and arms.
- Chore: Originally designed for physical work, this comfortable jacket with large pockets has a draped down fit that lasts in oversized denim.
- Culture: Short cuts at the waist, cropped denim jackets are wide in the arms and torso. They’re perfect for that bomber jacket look, so you can get an ’80s slouch while showing off your waistline.
Real denim is 100% cotton. But today, many manufacturers are blending other fabrics such as polyester to reduce cost and improve strength. These blended fabrics can loose their shape in the dryer. They also don’t have the saggy, stiff texture of real cotton denim. If you’re looking for comfort or a snug fit, however, stretch blends are a great alternative to cotton for their body-hugging properties.
How much you can expect to spend on an oversized denim jacket
An oversized denim jacket made from a mix of fabrics usually costs between $30 and $60. For 100% cotton designer brands, you can expect to pay up to $120 at major outlets.
Oversized Denim Jacket FAQ
Should I wash my denim jacket?
A. Don’t wash your denim unless it gets really dirty. If you absolutely must put it in the washing machine, do it on the gentlest setting using cold water and very little detergent. Turning your jacket inside out will not only protect the material and dyes, but also expose areas that really need cleaning, like the armpits. Do not put your jeans in the dryer. Hang it to dry or lay it flat.
Can I get the oversized look by just sizing up?
A. Part of what makes the oversized style so popular is that the jacket has subtle touches that still conform and flatter your body despite being roomy elsewhere. Simply going up the size can give that puffy, baggy look, but may not be as comfortable or stay as good as a fitted, oversized denim jacket.
What’s the best oversized denim jacket to buy?
Oversized denim jacket top
Calvin Klein Jeans Oversized Vintage Denim Jacket
What do you want to know: This lightly faded trucker from one of the biggest brands of the late ’90s hits all the right notes for an instant classic.
What you will love: Lightly washed for a vintage look, you’ll feel like you’ve had this denim jacket forever. It’s 100% cotton with enough extra fabric to roll up the sleeves loosely, but not so much that you commit to a more casual look.
What you should consider: For the price and material, you really can’t go wrong with this classic fit and tasteful finish.
Or buy: Sold by Macy’s
Oversized denim jacket top for the money
Cotton On The Oversized Denim Jacket for Women
What do you want to know: Cotton On’s indigo trucker is perfect for a clean, streamlined look on a budget.
What you will love: Designed to fall just below the waist, this jacket has a boxy fit. Roomy sleeves are comfortable and tapered at the wrist. And the lack of distress makes it a versatile piece for different styles. This jacket goes best with slimming or cropped tops.
What you should consider: The jacket is imported and uses Australian sizing, so be sure to check the conversion chart in the product details.
Or buy: Sold by Macy’s
Worth checking out
Hotmiss Men’s Casual Denim Jacket
What do you want to know: Baggy and lightweight, the Hotmiss Trucker has a retro vibe with a unisex fit.
What you will love: This denim jacket is the quintessential early ’90s outerwear. Unstructured and loose, you can roll up the sleeves and let it hang over your shoulders to really get the grunge look. It’s roomy for breathability on the warmer days and layering potential in the colder months.
What you should consider: This jacket is a blend of polyester and cotton.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Register here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Karl Daum written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.